Since we are now approaching Easter, I will take a look back at the quite busy first quarter of this year. I really don’t have a good summary picture, so I will go with a tawny owl (kattuggla) instead, which I photographed at my countryside last Easter (a couple has been occupying that hole for years). 🙂
Leading large research studies in eHealth
Quite a lot of my time has been devoted to working with (and leading) the two large eHealth studies I introduced here and here. At the end of January the ethical application for the observation/interview/survey study at Uppsala University hospital was sent in and a couple of weeks ago it was finally approved. I’m currently recruiting participants for the observation and interview activities, described here. In parallel I have been working, together with colleagues from several Swedish universities, on analyzing the results from the national patient survey and drafting a first publication about the study. We are still writing, but the current plan is to submit a journal manuscript before May is over.
Writing research grant applications
This is the first year that I have been working very actively with research grant applications and I must say I have really enjoyed it! For one of the applications, to the Swedish Research Council, I was the main applicant. I wrote most of the text and also assembled a group of researchers from four Swedish Universities who I thought would complement each other perfectly in carrying out the planned project. You can read more about this particular application here. I really learned a lot from this experience, so I definitely think I have gained something from this application process even if our proposed project is not funded. And if it is not – I will just assemble the team once again and give it another try!
The other application I have been working on is an EU grant application aiming at developing a kind of health coach to be used both in Sweden and Uganda – thus this application is within the eHealth area. The grant writing process was led by Meena Daivadanam from Uppsala University/Karolinska Institutet who is also the main applicant. Åsa Cajander and I will play key roles in the “technical component”, since we are the only IT people among the co-applicants. Apart from Sweden, researchers from Finland, Belgium, Uganda and Australia. The application was submitted two days ago – let’s see if we get lucky! 🙂
In the middle of March we had a traditional DOME consortium conference, this time in Skövde. I really enjoyed going there to meet all people that I work with in my studies in real life (normally we have regular Skype meetings, but that is not the same thing of course). It was also especially interesting to meet Bridget Kane again – the newest addition to the DOME consortium. We had referenced each other’s studies on multidisciplinary medical team meetings (this article is an example) quite a few times before we met at a conference at the end of last year! More can be read about the DOME conference in this blog post.
During these days I’m also preparing a presentation which Hanife Rexhepi and I will have at Vitalis, April 26. We are going to present preliminary findings from the national patient survey! I’m really looking forward to going to that conference and presenting with Hanife!
Apart from going to conferences I have also been working with conference papers. In a blog post from last year I wrote about a workshop where I participated as a patient. All participants eventually gathered again to write a paper about the workshop, but we recently got notified that the first attempt was unsuccessful. We will now try another conference, after taking the reviewer comments on the first version into account. I really like the fact that workshop participants actually forms a kind of research group and stay in contact, writing papers and so on! In parallel, I’m also writing on another conference paper about medical health records from the nurse’s perspective. And if that wasn’t enough I’m also writing on a full paper, about experiences from a recently held HCI course, for a pedagogical Conference.
I have already written blog posts about a course on supervising oral presentations and a course on activating students, which I took during March. They required a lot of effort and time, but I really learned a lot from them. I’m currently also taking a pedagogical course on grading criteria, examination and feedback, which I will write more about after the last course day.
Apart from research, I have also done some teaching in a basic course in human-computer interaction. Specifically, I have been responsible for reading seminars. I also managed to squeeze in a guest lecture on design of advanced medical information systems and analysis Tools.
Ok, I think that was all. The first part of the spring term has been great and now I’m really looking forward to the second half – the part of spring where we will conduct our large eHealth study at Uppsala University hospital!!